Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Access bios with usb off
Dear support team, and anyone who can help!

I have bought recently this device, and was curious about windows to install, but did get ACPI_BIOS_ERROR BSOD on installation image boot. So I was playing with bios settings to solve this, but ended up with not working usb somehow. Now I can't boot any os, can't press F7 to enter bios setup, can't boot from usb drive, and ubuntu doesn't start, cause it is off in boot options in bios.
The only thing I see is the EFI shell starting and showing me eMMC partitions.

My questions is:
1. is there any way to reset bios settings to defaults without the keyboard?
2. is there any way to attach keyboard other than usb, to be able to press F7 or F2 on startup to access bios?
3. if upper not possible, is it possible to reset NVRAM where boot options are stored somehow?
4. will the flashing bios chip with externall prommer help?
5. could you please send the bios rom image for my device? (the latest and some older one)

Yours faithfully, Victor
Hi, Victor

Apparently we are following policy from Microsoft as we are official licensee.

For PCG02U, we only allow to install Ubuntu 14.04 on it and ship out. As for Windows, we suggest you buy PCG02 which is pre-installed with genuine Windows 10 Home.

As for the image to re-install Ubuntu on PCG02U, please refer to this topic: http://forum.mele.cn/showthread.php?tid=45619
Best Regards
MeLE Service Team
Dear Eric!

Thank you for support! I respect Microsoft too Smile and I was not going to break their license agreement etc.. Smile I was just quirious is that possible to  install from official image, but this is not my question was about.

I wery like Ubuntu also, and I still have it on eMMC drive, cause Windows install process didn't even start.
But I can't boot ubuntu, cause this option is disabled in BIOS.
I can't also enable it, cause usb keyboard doesn't work due to some settings in BIOS and I can't get to BIOS without the keyboard.
I also can't reset BIOS to defaults cause modern BIOSES (EFI) doesn't care about battery disconnect.

The only way I see is to flash the BIOS chip Winbond 25Q64FW with apropriate external programmer and correct BIOS image.
I already dumped BIOS image with my uncorrect settings to PC, but I'm not so experiensed to modify it to be correct.
And now I need correct BIOS image (not Ubuntu image) to flash it back.

So, dear Eric, please give me the BIOS image (one that used on your factory in production), I will very appreciate this!

Thanks for your support!

Regards,
Victor
Hi, Victor

Refer to this topic for PCG02U BIOS download: http://forum.mele.cn/showthread.php?tid=45625
Best Regards
MeLE Service Team
Dear Victor,

for your questions, please see below:

1. is there any way to reset bios settings to defaults without the keyboard?
--no, we can't.

2. is there any way to attach keyboard other than usb, to be able to press F7 or F2 on startup to access bios?
--no, we can't.

3. if upper not possible, is it possible to reset NVRAM where boot options are stored somehow?
--no, we can't.

4. will the flashing bios chip with externall prommer help?
--yes, we can.

5. could you please send the bios rom image for my device? (the latest and some older one)
--yes, we can.
Best Regards
MeLE Technical Team
Dear Eric and Hellen!

As I can't type in efi shell (cause no usb == no keyboard), then I suppose *.bin file from upper link is what I need to flash BIOS directly. Will try this soon.

Thank you wery much for your support!

Regards,
Victor
Big Grin 
Dear Eric and Hellen!

Your support was very helpful!

I have unsoldered the chip and flashed a bin file with usb programmer.
Then I have soldered it back and my Ubuntu have started Big Grin
I also started a efi shell then and flashed BIOS again folowing directions from the doc file, just to be sure it flashed well Wink

Thank you wery much for your support!

Regards,
Victor
Hi, Victor

Enjoy it with PCG02U. We will keep introducing new and qualified hardware with Intel solition for our customers.
Best Regards
MeLE Service Team